Monday, August 24, 2015

The squirrel

This is the kind of poem I would like to use as a riddle for young children who haven't heard it before to see if they can tell what animal the poem is about.
 
 ~author unknown~
 

Whisky, frisky,
Hippity hop;
Up he goes
To the tree top!

Whirly, twirly,
Round and round,
Down he scampers
To the ground.

Furly, curly
What a tail!
Tall as a feather
Broad as a sail!

Where's his supper?
In the shell,
Snappity, crackity,
Out it fell.
 
This critter regularly lands on top of the house with a thump.  It jumps from the crepe myrtle to the house, scampers over to the other side, leaps into the sycamore, and then heads for the bird feeder.  The bird feeder is squirrel proof, so the little openings close with the weight of the squirrel when the squirrel jumps onto the feeder.  However, when the squirrel jumps off the feeder, the feeder is left swinging.  My theory is that the swinging feeder allows some of the seed to spill onto the ground where the squirrel then goes to find it.  Twice I've seen the squirrel leap from the roof over the utility room to the deck rail.  I also saw some acrobatics in the sycamore that rivaled that of the Olympic gymnasts.
I don't care for them nesting in the shed, but I haven't yet gotten around to screening all the entry ways.
Here is the squirrel on the deck rail.


 
 


1 comment:

  1. Squirrels are a nuisance, but I do love to watch them. Gone are the time I would have had a few for dinners. It is folks like me who quit hunting for food that have allowed them to increase the population.

    Once in Canada I was feeding a couple at a primitive camp site. When I quit feeding them, they 'blessed me out', I was amazed at the sounds and antics.

    I had to relocate some at our church in Florida they were eating the wiring for some reason.
    Good pictures, they are entertaining. That is a neat feeder, I am not that familiar with feeders, but that is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete