Sunday, August 23, 2015

Question mark butterfly

I saw a pretty butterfly this evening by the side of the road.  It was not one I usually see.  I told it to wait while I fetched my camera.  When it obliged, I was afraid it was injured and couldn't move, but it soon flitted about.  It landed on my spirea bush and I got a few more shots before it flitted away.



In this shot, you can see the two small white marks on the hind wings that give the butterfly its name.  On this specimen the two marks don't look particularly like a question mark, but there is at least a separate curve and a dot, which distinguishes this from the eastern comma butterfly (which only has a curved mark).
 
Taking butterfly photos is really helping me to learn the different kinds. 



1 comment:

  1. I cannot imagine trying to ID the butterflies. I remember the 8th grade and the butterfly shadow box collection I made. I love to see butterflies. I always wonder, does it know what direction it is going? Or does it just flit about?
    MY mind says it has a direction, since I hear they migrate. I cannot comprehend the butterfly going a hundred miles in one direction, much less thousands.
    But despite that, these are good shots.

    Love from Belmont!

    ReplyDelete