Friday, August 21, 2015

Small town culture

Small town culture...
...where you can eat at the Waffle House for lunch, park and grab a geocache, visit a small art gallery, and be solicited to serve on the board of the historical society all in one afternoon... ...and also see the largest dragonfly ever and find two lucky pennies.
I had a great time with my friend Lea yesterday.  I'll post some of my pics now and hopefully add some of Lea's pics later.

Whistle displays...


 



A bronze figurine of whistling boy...
 
African wood carving (mancala game box)...
 
Various pottery pieces with Lea reading web info on pottery "slip"...
 

 
A turned wooden bowl (cherry burl)...

 
There was another exhibit hall which was currently empty save the permanent flower arrangements...

 
This little museum was closed, but we were invited to attend the meeting last night and join the board.  (We declined.)
 
I imposed upon Lea to stop at the local thrift store to see if there were any seascape pictures.  There weren't, but we did see a picture-worthy dragonfly on the sidewalk outside.  It was the largest we had ever seen.  A spiketail dragonfly of some type?...
 
 
What a great afternoon enjoying small town culture with a friend!
 

3 comments:

  1. There's a dragonfly hanging around our back yard. Those this are almost magical. They will hover within inches of my face almost as if they were fitting me for a suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I encountered one today that flew right in front of me. I was assuming it snatching a tiny insect in front of me or something. Sometimes when I encounter one that has lit on the clothesline, I will twirl the line. The dragonfly will stay upright like a lumberjack balances on a log in water.

      Delete
  2. For some reason trhe Dragon flies are in greater numbers than usual, mabe, it is because you have pointed them out. They do very fragile,
    fragile with the transparent wings.

    ReplyDelete