Friday, September 5, 2014

Victory Garden still a good deal

Yesterday, I bought some turnip seeds.  I suspect my grand total of $0.49 did not even pay the labor for the nice young lady who measured out the seeds and rang up the transaction.  I bemoan the high price of gas and the high price of milk, but I can't believe turnip seeds can be so cheap!  (But I also wonder if I'm supposed to be paying 6.75% tax on SEEDS?!!)
 
Hopefully in a day or two, I will get a little turnip patch in.  Here is what I wrote a few years back about my turnip patch.
I also have a tiny turnip patch. It's a tradition with me. I remember going to visit Grandpa and Granny on Sunday afternoons. I always liked to hang around the menfolk - their stories seemed more interesting. In the fall Daddy and Grandpa would walk out to the turnip patch and each peel a turnip with his pocketknife. Daddy would peel one for each youngun that wanted one. That was so good! So after being cooped up in an apartment in Raleigh for 10 years, the first thing I wanted to do when we bought this house in '94 was dig in my own dirt. I remember digging up some blueberry plants from Mom's to transplant here, and Mom explaining to Caleb who was just a toddler, "Your Mama's got her a little piece of dirt to dig in now." The implication was that my excitement was to be overlooked or perhaps even indulged because we all knew it couldn't be helped. Daddy drove the 2 hours and 20 minutes to come help me put in my first turnip patch. So I've put in a turnip patch every year since then. As a matter of fact, I had been out changing the oil in my tiller on 9/11/01 in preparation for putting in my turnip patch when a friend called to tell me about the bombings. My immediate preparations for the unknown included putting gas in the car, putting some drinking water aside, and buying chocolate (who knew if the borders would be closed!), but within a day or so I got that little Victory Garden turnip patch in. So now every year when I put that turnip patch in, in my mind I call it my Victory Garden turnip patch. I try to eat some greens from it, but the big deal is eating a raw turnip now and then and reminiscing about the good ole days.

 

1 comment:

  1. Gotta like this entry for a couple reasons.
    I truly admire the idea of the Victory Gardens, I remember them. I wish I had been more observant of mama's gardens. Dad would always do the prep of the land leaving the rest to mama, she had a GREEN THUMB.

    No matter the church dad pastored he would find a place to raise a hog, and mama would find a place for her garden. They started life together as farmers.

    Once in Missouri I called mama, to tell her my turnips looked like carrots and they were bitter (It was July). Then as instructing a 5yr old she explained the spring and fall CROPS. TURNIPS WERE FALL! And about 'thinning'. That long distance call 'costed' a little more than normal. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete