Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Pruning chores

The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing. 
Proverbs 20:4
 
I'm afraid I'm in the boat with the sluggard when it comes to the pruning chores.  The one chore I did get done was pruning my muscadine.  And I worry that it might not have been good for the vine to be pruned before we had the coldest weather of the winter.  Who knew it would get down to 7° F on February 20th?  Here is the vine coated in ice and the post capped with snow last Thursday.
Last year the vine had showed so much promise with green grapes, but they fell off while they were still green.  I haven't been successful at all with my muscadines.

















 
I figured it was time for a replacement blade on my bow saw, but I found a bargain that I bought instead.  I could have spent a little less than $5 on a replacement blade, but for $10 I could get the blade (with the saw attached!) and a pruning saw.  Since I've been needing a pruning saw, this seemed like a good deal.  I'm not sure why they had been marked down to $9.99 from $20.99.  When I was last in that particular Ace in December, I saw two saws with that price.  I couldn't believe they were still there Saturday when dh took me by.  So now one is in my possession.
 
While I was at Ace, I also picked up a packet of garden peas.






















 

It will probably be a while before the ground dries out enough to plant them.  There are still places on the north side of evergreens or buildings where the snow from last Wednesday night is still hanging around.

























 

The snow will most likely be out of here tomorrow when the high is forecast to be in the mid-70's.  However, we will have rain on Thursday (and a low that night of 22°!  The local weather lady called it something like weather whiplash), and the ground will be saturated again.
Hopefully, I will get a little pruning on the blueberry bushes this afternoon.
 

 
       

1 comment:

  1. I should have pruned our Muscadines last year but did not. We are never home at the right time. I am still proud sherry found the wild vine and I ran it out of the woods so we could pick them. maybe this year.

    Nice pic's. Glad most of the snow is gone, hoping there is no more, we want to head back that way in a few weeks.
    Love from down here....

    ReplyDelete