Thursday, March 12, 2015

Napping dove, drinking nuthatch, bathing chickadee

A few days ago this dove perched in the tree outside my window for what seemed like several hours.  It finally flew when I walked into the back yard.  The last picture I took of it was time stamped at 1 hour and 21 minutes after the first picture.  I guess it was taking a nap.

 

I saw the nuthatch again drinking from the thermometer.  In one shot, you can see the white spot on its otherwise brown head, which is an identifying field mark.  I like the way you can see the water drop on the bird's beak before it tilts its head back to swallow.

 
 
Once the weather warmed, the birds began bathing.  I saw some in a puddle one day, and I caught the chickadee splashing about in the overturned thermometer.


 
Ah, that's the life!

 

1 comment:

  1. They are pretty. Birds are fun to watch. The colorful ones get a lot of attention, from everyone, But the quiet colors seem to shine at times.

    ReplyDelete