Sunday, March 1, 2015

Hawks and doves

(No, this is not about foreign policy.  I just have so many pictures of birds, I had to come up with a creative way to categorize them.  Maybe I should do as my friend Jack over at SHIPSLOG does with his cars:  he posts a few pics at the end of each blog entry.)
Friday, I finally got around to logging my entries in the Great Backyard Bird Count.  I saw 15 species of birds on the day I observed (and Caleb saw a chipping sparrow which I did not see, which was also counted for a total of 16 species).  Of course I have seen several other species lately that I did not see that day.  I didn't happen to see any hawks or doves the day I made my observations, but they are around!
The dove pictures are from 2/19 and 2/21.

 
Notice how the sun plays up the golden flecks on the dove's neck.  I don't remember seeing them before.

 
 
The red-shouldered hawk pictures are from Friday (2/27).



2 comments:

  1. (smile) good title and comparrison. I do notice that many birds have color that comes out with the light at the right angle. Most of them that seem to have a velvet texture to their feathers. I don't know what it is about hawks, but I get a thrill when I see them or an eagle. I like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A month or two ago, Caleb and I saw a bald eagle near Perry's Pond (where he took the snow pictures). It was in or next to the road and had picked up some prey or carrion. As we came around the curve and down the hill, the eagle was just taking flight. It was an awesome sight.

      Delete