Thursday, March 12, 2015

Milk fertilizer for houseplants

Occasionally when I rinse out a milk jug for recycling, I will pour the rinse water (well diluted) on a houseplant.  That adds nitrogen to the houseplant.  I've had a little pot of ivy for a good while.  It looked like it needed a boost.  I was going to brag about the new growth my milk rinse water induced, but when I inspected the ivy a little more closely and noticed all the aphids on it, I nearly changed my mind.  I guess the tender new growth was irresistible to the aphids.  I took it outside, tried to smash the aphids between my fingers and rinse off the rest.  I'm going to leave it outside on the porch now that the severely cold weather is past.  I'll keep my eye on it and see how it does.

1 comment:

  1. I had a friend who always put his coffee tha he let get cold , in his office plant. He swore ti gave leaps of growth. My mama liked to mix coffee grounds in her dirt.;-0

    ReplyDelete