Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sunday thoughts: sweet water and bitter

The sermon at our church this morning was about the words we speak.  Interestingly enough, my real-life friend as well as fellow blogger, Lea, posted that she had studied this in Bible study just two days ago.
I like the verses in James which make the analogy of a fountain.  You would not expect to find both fresh tasting water and bitter or salty water coming out of the same fountain, so why should we expect to have both words of blessing and words of cursing coming out of our mouths?  Isn't it hypocritical to bless God with our mouth, then turn around and use that same mouth to spew forth embittered words to our fellow humans (who are made in God's image)?
Just as there is a time to hold our peace, there is also a time to speak up and speak out.  If it is within out power to speak up for someone who is powerless to defend himself, we should speak up.
Proverbs: 31:8,9
Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction.
Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.

What's the state of your fountain?  Do you ever think of the words you say as metaphorically giving someone a fresh drink of water?

2 comments:

  1. Funny how many folk never think of that very thing, good and bad coming from the same mouth. Of course being a preacher's kid I heard it a lot. (LOL)
    I know I have read those passages in proverbs and never put them in any particular context as I remember.

    I try to make it a practice to compliment every clerk or cashier. I do get the feeling from the 'harried' ones when they say 'Thank you', that they are refreshed, but never thought of it in that context either.
    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our study was very convicting to me with this same analogy being brought up... I have been trying to become more aware of the words that spill out... and more importantly the heart !

    ReplyDelete