Friday, May 30, 2014

Buds bursting out all over!

Do you watch for the first bloom of the season?  There is a citizen science project that depends on observations such as that.  Project BudBurst records data logged by citizens all across the nation.  Scientists can then use the data to "learn more about the responsiveness of plant species to changes in climate..." 
Here are some flowers in my neighborhood that had their first blooms this week.
(Click on any image to enlarge.)

My 'Black Eyed Stella' daylily
 
 
 
 
My horsemint
 
 
 
My black-eyed Susan opened just today
 
 

 
A seedling crepe myrtle in my neighbor's yard
 
 
 
 
My crinum lily
 
 
 
 
The buds on my butterfly weed will be bursting soon.
 
 
 
 
Some things that are already in full bloom or finishing up: 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
There are more, too, but I'll save some for another day.
Hope you take time to stop and smell the flowers!




1 comment:

  1. They are all gorgeous but Three jumped out at me the Stella flower, Horsemint (unique) and the lily . I don't pay too much attention until one day I realize Wow look at the flowers, blooming everywhere.
    Interesting that, Project Budburst, never heard of it. It is amazing the things I DO NOT know. (Smile)...

    ReplyDelete