Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Fence lines and physical limits

I have found fence lines hard to keep clean.  Privet, crepe myrtle seedlings, poison ivy, trumpet creeper, and honeysuckle all like to come up right under the fence or climb the fence.  Even trees reach over the fence line.  Over the last several days, I've been trimming back some of the Leyland cypress limbs that have reached over into the neighbor's yard.  The property has been abandoned for a while, and someone came by to mow the yard last week.  I want to trim the limbs back at least far enough so someone can get a mower close to the fence.
I stood on the step ladder to get one limb with the bow saw.  I actually made two cuts--the first to take the weight of the limb off and the second cut about even with the fence.  I lopped quite a few smaller limbs and threw them over the fence back into my yard

or drug them to my burn pile.

I filled the wheelbarrow with the smallest limbs, honeysuckle, and the section of the larger branch.

By the time I had finished, I was quite tired.  There are still more limbs that need to be cut; there is the fence on the other side of the yard with all its issues.  And this is pruning season for the apple and pear and quite a few ornamentals.  How much can just one woman do?  I have my physical limits.  I don't know if I'm up to all this.
Anyway, I decided to go ahead and burn today the branches I had cut, along with the Christmas tree I had taken down earlier this month.

I made a fire with some intense heat and a lot of white smoke.  It felt good to get rid of the cut branches.
I usually sit in the office and while away some time on the computer when I take a break from outdoor chores.  Then I get to look out the window and watch the other occupants of my backyard.
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I call every thing that is evergreen but doesn't have 'needles' a cedar. I told a friend I was going to have our cedars cut back because I could not see past them and they were starting to block the road, he says, "You mean your 'derfdghbtw's". Being so hard of hearing I never did get the name. After asking the third time I just nod. Not always a good idea, but it is a learned defense, that keeps me from being taught! lol

    I used to love the fires that had green stuff in it, I liked the crackling and pops it always had a happy sound to it to me.

    My sister Shirl is a lot like you, she gets into yard work, I always just cut grass. When I feel like it, I like "NATURAL" (Smile)

    (I need spell check)
    Sending love from down in Florida..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you had Leyland cypresses if I remember from the pictures on your blog; I believe I remember you wondering if they would take a severe shearing. My mom called my Leylands "cedars." When I corrected her, she scolded, "You know what I mean." Alrighty, then, if you want to call them cedars, you are in good company!
      I had one magnolia branch to throw in the fire. It makes so much crackling and popping, it sounds like a large crowd cheering. I think it would be good to throw in the fire after you tell a joke. Then you would have a loud applause.

      Delete