Monday, January 5, 2015

Challenges of being highly sensitive

Apparently some people are more highly sensitive to sensory input than others.  I was reading a mom-blog that mentioned this.  I followed her link to the self-test and was not surprised at all to fit the description of highly sensitive.  One thing I've learned is that even though I'm highly sensitive to sensory input, that does not necessarily translate into being sensitive to how my words affect another person's feelings.  I do try to make a conscious effort to work on that.
Sometimes being a HSP can seem like a curse.  Just little chores can seem like ordeals.  I had to mail a couple of packages, and I went to the USPS website to see if I could figure out what to do (since I'm highly sensitive to a postal worker frowning disapproval at me!).  Yes, it bugged me and exasperated me to see "addressing and labeling" instructions on preparing a package for shipment which specifically stated to use capital letters and to not use commas or periods when the illustration right beside the instructions had--you guessed it--a period, a comma, and lowercase letters!  (Close enough for government work, as they say.  It will likely get there either way.)
 
All's well that ends well, though.  The lady at the post office had a sweet demeanor, and she sent my packages on their way.



No comments:

Post a Comment