Sunday, May 17, 2015

Disc golf with ds

Friday, I had the privilege of spending some recreational time with darling son.  We played 9 "holes" of disc golf and then had a meal at Taco Bell before he had to go to the coffee shop to play with the band. 
I remember as a kid playing a game our older brother came up with.  When we were lucky enough to spend time at Camp John J. Barnhardt, we would play with a Frisbee and see how few times it would take to throw it across a field and hit a totem pole.  I thought it was a fun game.  Disc golf is played on the same principle except there are metal baskets instead of totem poles and the discs are more specialized.  There is a nice disc golf course not too far from us.  My only issue is when I do very much twisting motion like throwing a plastic disc, I end up with a lot of discomfort in my lower back the next day or so.  (My score was pretty wretched, but that didn't keep me from enjoying the afternoon.) 
It had been a while since I had played.  There have been a few changes to the course which have improved things (except for a few places where it has become mandatory to go to the left of a pole or tree--that just made it harder for the golfers, though probably a bit safer for the other park goers).  Here are some pics from the outing.


 
 
 
I remember when we used to go to this park when Caleb was young and we wondered what those metal baskets were for.  At some point, Caleb and I each found discs languishing in a mud puddle there at the park.  We played our first games with found discs.  Then I had the idea for us to give him a basic set of discs and a bag for Christmas one year.  It's been an enjoyable pastime.
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. WE camp at a place in Melbourne, FL that houses one of the disc courses. Then we come home and Grandson Luke does that a couple times a week. Surprising to me it has caught on so. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good exercise for me just walking the course. Because Caleb is so much taller, I can feel like I'm hurrying, then look at him and it looks like he's just sauntering.

      Delete