Tuesday, January 17, 2017

I like making a fire

Today, I had some limbs to burn.  I do compost a lot of things, but there were some Leyland limbs that I wanted to burn.  I also burned quite a bit of privet brush; burning it is about the only way to ensure it doesn't root.  Little holly saplings that sprout here and there I sometimes burn just so I don't have prickly holly leaves in the compost pile.  If something is diseased, I might burn it as well.
This afternoon was perfect for my fire.  It had just started sprinkling a little which meant the ground around would be damp and not likely to catch fire from a hot ash floating on the breeze.  The winds were less than 10 mph.  I really don't like to have a fire if it is much windier than 12 mph or so.
I like to start my fire with natural materials (except for a match or two).  The little twigs from the dried Leyland branches are pretty good for the small stuff.  I used a little pine straw and dried stilt grass to get things started.
When I'm all done, I'll save the ashes for the garden. 
Burning my brush pile is such a satisfying chore.

4 comments:

  1. I do that as well. I don't use ash on my garden any more because it changes the ph in the soil. If my soil were acidic then ash would be good, but my soil, after years of composing dried leaves and other organic matter is close to where aI need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the eastern US where rainfall is plentiful, over time the acidity of the rain will lower your pH again.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I too love a fire. Our are limited to campfires now but it is always a pleasant chore. I keep a container of burnable scraps in the basement of the motor home. I'm smiling because soon we will be building a fire. Also a good attitude towards a fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure you don't burn any treated wood scraps.

      Delete