Thursday, October 19, 2017

A light frost--time to cook collards

Wednesday morning we had some frost on elevated surfaces like the car windshields, the roof, and a pile of pine straw.  It was not a "killing frost," but I thought it was a good enough reason to gather a few collard leaves, which are said to be improved by frost, and cook them.  They did not disappoint.
The unusually warm weather that we had which I thought would be a boon to the fall crops ended up being quite the boon to the caterpillars which eat the fall crops, so I have really had to fight them this year.  Hopefully the cooler weather will slow down the pests and we can get more of the greens for ourselves.   

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. My mama was a great cook. Sherry brags on mama's collards I think, more than any of her terrific home cooking.
    I have always loved collards. Once near Andy Griffin's TV town I tried a collard sandwich. I was surprised because it WEREN"T no sandwich a'tall. hahaha

    ReplyDelete