Sunday, September 24, 2017

Yellow-billed cuckoo

Usually beginning sometime in August, we have an infestation of sycamore tussock moth caterpillars in our sycamore tree.  We also have fall webworms--some in the sycamore, some in the Oriental persimmon, and quite a lot in the neighbor's birch tree.  Fortunately, nature has a balance, and the caterpillars attract some predators.  I'm pretty sure I saw a wren eating one of the sycamore tussock moth caterpillars, and the yellow-billed cuckoo has been around as well.  According to Cornell's All About Birds website, "Yellow-billed Cuckoos are among the few bird species able to eat hairy caterpillars."
I have seen the cuckoo in the sycamore but had never been able to get a picture until this afternoon.  I was able to take the picture through the window.  The lighting was low and the picture is not good, but it is evidence that the cuckoo was there.
 
This is the bird some folks call the rain crow.  I did a post about the rain crow last year.

1 comment:

  1. Funny that. I thought any bird would eat a fuzzy worm...
    Yeah, I know that assume thing! LOL
    Hope you are well. We head to Florida in a few days.

    ReplyDelete