Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Garden update

Saturday, my neighbor and I bought some fall vegetable plants that were on clearance because the planting season is over.  I was a little leery of buying the plants, which were either pot bound or else too tender because they were still in the greenhouse and not hardened off.  I was also leery about planting them so late, but it's been unseasonably warm, so they may have a chance after all.  Of course, I enjoyed getting out and about and looking at the beauty of the nursery with mums and pumpkins and roses and hydrangeas.  My neighbor suggested if I had done a garden update when I planted my collards she would have known when to plant hers.  Perhaps I've been a little remiss in my updates, so let me rectify that.

The Oriental persimmons are ripening.  I'll have to fight the birds for them.
 
An opossum or the birds pretty much demolished the muscadines.

Here are the 5 collards I planted on August 22.  They don't look that big, but when compared to the one left in the pack that I didn't have room to plant, it's easy to see they have, in fact, grown some.
 
I'm still getting some peppers, though the plants are looking a bit wilted.
 
 
You can see the nice, thick walls of the green pepper I picked last week, part of which went into an omelet Sunday night.  I haven't been getting tomatoes since the fusarium wilt took over, but I did find a small one that is starting to ripen.  I found the potatoes when I planted the cauliflower plants I bought Saturday.  I had missed just a few when I dug them.
 
I planted the 6 Russian kale plants that I bought Saturday.  You can see 2 potato plants growing where I missed digging up a couple of tubers back in the summer.
 
I have a few turnips planted.
 
That's what's happening in the garden.


 
 


 
 

4 comments:

  1. We never grew much, but I do miss it. My sister is sending some cantaloupe plants to Florida with us. We aren't around enough to care for them but she insists. Maybe they can fend for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I do like what I see, the persimmon interests me. Imma look 'em up. I have never liked our persimmons in the woods, but Sherry loves them. She can spot a 'simmon tree from a mile away. Well maybe that is an exaggeration, but she can fine them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm back. I asked Sherry about the Orientals. She reminded me she bought on at the farmer's market in Florida. She said hers didn't have much taste but someone told her later that it had not ripened enough.... Who knew! I sure had forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you have to tell yourself that compared to the native persimmon, the Oriental persimmon has a "delicate" flavor. It doesn't work as well if you do what I did and call it "anemic." However, the ones I have eaten this year were the best this little tree has produced, I think.

      Delete