Friday, September 8, 2017

Sights and sounds of September

Yesterday I heard a loud buzzing sound as a cicada (or July fly, as we call them around here) flew into the briars near me.  I eyeballed it, wondering if I could get a good picture of it if I went for my camera.  After looking at it for a while, I realized there was also a katydid in plain sight right above it.  I say plain site, but it was rather camouflaged, being the same color as the leaf it was on.  Those are 2 noisy insects.  I rather enjoy the noises they make, probably because they remind me of hearing them in my childhood.  The other night when it was cool enough to leave the windows open, I tried to pick out the chirp of the crickets, the trill of the toads, and the sawing sound of multiple katydids. 
Anyway, when I came back with my camera, the cicada flew away, but the katydid only hopped a short distance, then allowed me to get a few pictures.
 
In the right light, the katydid was the same color as the leaf.
 
As far as sights, here are a couple of sights I was glad to see yesterday--
new shiitake mushrooms on my log,
 
and a lovely red bloom on the spider lily.
 
September is a lovely time of year.



1 comment:

  1. Amazing pictures. I still so not know the different insect sounds, but I have not heard them for 30 years. I sat in the swing talking to Sherry and asked, what am I hearing?
    She said that must be the Katydid. Strange how it was so foreign to me. Love from the Piedmont

    ReplyDelete