Saturday, September 2, 2017

White M hairstreak butterfly

A couple of nights ago I was looking at a book of wildlife and noted to myself that I hadn't seen the brilliant blue butterfly called the white M hairstreak.  The very next day I was walking along the edge of the yard next to the road when something blue in the grass caught my eye.  I thought it was a piece of debris and stooped to pick it up.  Actually it was a dead butterfly, perhaps hit by a car.
These butterflies usually feed with their wings closed, so it would be possible to only see their grayish or brownish undersides.  I would love for this to have been a picture of a live specimen, but at least you get the idea of how vivid the blue is. 
 



2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful creature. I have seen one but it's been years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw an injured one at Advance, NC. It was injured also but was in the wooded area. I picked it up and placed it on a bush, but it's wings were going like a motor and it would not sty on the bush, so I placed it on level ground without debris hoping it would recover. It is a beautiful creature.

    ReplyDelete