Saturday, November 26, 2016

"A loaf of bread, a cabbage head, and a can of Mulligan stew"

In a book or poem that was read to us as kids, there was a line that included this phrase:  "...a loaf of bread, a cabbage head, and a can of Mulligan stew."  We loved the rhythm of the phrase and it stuck with us.  I can hardly say the phrase "cabbage head" without wanting to add "and a can of Mulligan stew!"  Here, I'm holding a cabbage my older brother grew this fall.
I guess we'd have to round that out with a two-foot long loaf of bread and a number 10 can of Mulligan stew!

 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a NC head? Looks like some we saw in Alaska. I never heard the line, but it is catchy!!

    Love sent from Florida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is a NC head, grown in Cabarrus County.

      Delete
  2. Now that's a big ol' head of cabbage.

    ReplyDelete