Sunday, June 14, 2015

June skies

I saw a couple of interesting optical phenomena in the daytime skies this week.  The first one, a very familiar one, was a rainbow Wednesday evening.  I always love to see a rainbow.  If there is a late afternoon shower followed immediately by sunshine, I usually look to the east to see if there is a rainbow.  My crepe myrtle has grown so much, I had to walk up my drive to view the sky.  I had a great view from my neighbor's house.

 
The second phenomenon I saw was something more unusual to me.  I had gone outside Friday morning to water the potted plant on the sidewalk when I heard a jetliner go overhead.  As I looked up to see if I could spot the jet, I noticed iridescence in the clouds.  They would have been too close to the sun for me to see except that the roof was shielding the sun from view.  I dashed inside and got my camera.  I believe this it the meteorological phenomenon called a solar corona.


 
I love the sights in the June skies.


1 comment:

  1. It is good to see the wonders and VERY good to be able to record them. Good catches all round. I think I have seen the color on clouds maybe once.

    I had hoped to see the Northern Lights sometime, but they occur usually when we are in Florida or Arizona. LOL

    ReplyDelete