Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Turning the compost pile

Yesterday, I had a few items to add to the compost pile, and since the day was mild, it seemed like a great day to be outside turning a compost pile.  The leaves on the outside of the pile were rather dry as were some of the large sycamore leaves inside the pile.  It took my trusty manure fork and me a good while to get the whole thing turned.  I added a few wood ashes to the pile as I went along.  I felt good about getting the dry parts incorporated with the soggy parts, and it was a pleasure to look out the window this morning and see this lovely, dark, and moist homogenized pile.
If you look closely, you can see a female cardinal right on top of the pile and a male cardinal on the right just beyond the pile.  My guess is that they like to peck at the eggshells in the compost.
A gardener, even in winter, is looking ahead to the next growing season.  Hopefully this compost will be used to enrich some early spring crops.

1 comment:

  1. Never been any place long enough to have a compost pile. Sounds like a great idea.
    But I do love to hunt things in pictures. (smile) i do like that much of a game!

    ReplyDelete