Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Party food

I apologize for not having pictures; we ate it up!
Last week we had a Christmas party to attend.  I just have to say I love party food.  As a kid, I always loved the phrase "refreshments will be provided."  I think my first associations with party foods were butter mints, nuts, and potato chips.  I still think they're great.  Then somewhere along the line (maybe my late teens or early twenties?), I discovered sausage balls.  The fantastic thing was that the recipe was getting passed around, which was a big deal in the days before the internet. 
(In my single days, I wooed Roger by cooking a batch of sausage balls to take to the picking and grinning where we hung out.  What have I done!?)
Date balls (made with crisped rice cereal) are the cat's pajamas as well.
Last week, I decided to take sausage balls, deviled eggs, and a colorful dip to the party (along with a cake Roger purchased from the store).
The dip was fancy schmancy, and I got the idea from the Mennonite Girls Can Cook website.  It's called Greek Feta Dip, and you can hop over there to their webpage for a look.*  I served it with pita chips. 
I added a little turmeric to my deviled eggs; that gives them a richer yellow color.  Besides, turmeric is supposed to be good for you.  Boy howdy, did those deviled eggs good on a bright red plastic plate!
I was impressed with the offerings of our friend, Brooks.  At first I thought he might be pulling my leg when he told me what he brought (because I saw him bringing in a platter for someone else).  He had made a slow cooker full of meatballs in barbecue sauce, a container full of sausage balls, and some fudge, which he assured me was a cinch to make in the microwave.
A thing about sausage balls is that the recipe calls for biscuit mix, which I never use up if I buy.  I figured I would just use some flour and baking powder.  That worked fine.  I used 1 1/2 c. regular flour, 1/2 c. whole wheat flour, and 1 TB baking powder.  Well, it was about a TB, I guess, measured in the palm of my hand.  That ends up being 2 c. as opposed to the 2 1/2 c. biscuit mix, and it worked out fine. That was with 1 lb. Jimmy Dean sausage and about 10 oz. sharp cheddar, grated.
Hope you're enjoying some party foods (in moderation, of course!).

*just a tip on the dip: make the cheese part the day before to give the flavors a chance to meld.  I happened to use the Neufchatel cheese and Greek yogurt.  At first, I thought the yogurt was too tart for something that already had a strong flavor, but the next day, it was much better.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow does all that food sound good. i love sausage balls but seldom enjoy them anymore. I get upset at my self for watching this and that and never anyof this etc. I think my favorite party food is deviled eggs, sometimes I think I could eat my weight in them. Yours sound pretty and very good.
    The holidays seemed to be filled with parties in our yournger days, but now, not so much.

    Love from Melbourne Florida. We came over to help Mark replace a tub with a walk in shower. Then back to the land of Disney.

    Love to all up that way! Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete