Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving impressions

Over the river and through the woods we went yesterday.  But first, darling husband wanted to stop at the drive thru and get a cup of coffee.  Look who was ordering ahead of us!
 
The pain in our hearts over our missing loved one mixed with the joy of seeing the rest of the family.  A prayer of thanks to God was made for His blessings and presence. 
There was an abundance of food, good conversation, tears and laughter.  I had my brothers pinpoint on a contour map the woodland destinations we haunted as kids.  We were fortunate to have US Forest Land to roam when we were kids.  There were lots of good memories there.
After sitting for a long drive and sitting for a big meal, I wanted to get outside and walk. 
Saw a bearded fellow with a big knife.
 
I saw a gorgeous red oak with the sun shining on it, but when I fetched my camera, the clouds had rolled in.  The effect is not nearly the same.  But you can see the handsome form of the tree nonetheless.
 
Most of the trees except the oaks have shed their leaves.  Here, near the edge of Mom's garden, is a willow oak with yellow leaves that are a remarkably clear color.
 
Mom has a row of blueberries that can be counted on to be colorful at Thanksgiving.  I took a couple of shots of mine today as I was clearing out some of the underbrush.

 
 
After a good day and a long ride, we were about a half hour from home when someone called asking Caleb to help fill in at open mic night at Johnny's on Main.  Instead of going home, we went to Johnny's.  As if we had not eaten enough sweets, we had a piece of ice cream cake to celebrate the birthday of one of the band members. 
I was one tired woman when I got home last night.
It was a good day with lots to be thankful for.


 
 


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful color in the pictures. I know what you mean about the light clouds covering the high lights by the sun. makes a big difference.

    Watch the bearded guys with a big KNIFE (No matter how friendly or tall they are!). I guess the drive thru person spoke puppese. Ha!

    It is good the family could get together. Memories are important...

    ReplyDelete