Here is a pile of poison ivy (and a couple of cow itch vines and a little sweet gum root and sumac).
Over the last little while, I had accumulated a wheelbarrow load of weeds that I had removed from the border. I put them on my compost pile yesterday and decided that would be a good time to finish turning the pile. Last July the pile looked like this:
Last fall, Caleb or I put some of the sycamore leaves beside this pile, and I layered the nandina canes I pruned out recently. I stacked my weeds on the nandina canes and began turning last year's pile over onto the new stack, adding some chickweed that was growing all around as I went. The pile was fairly dry, and the grass clippings from last summer had an impressive amount of mold that blew everywhere in the gusty wind. I left a small amount of the pile unturned. If we get some rain tomorrow to wet the pile, I will turn the last little dab. Here is the new pile...
...and the last little dab yet to be turned:
I had moved enough of the pile to have good access to the compost that has sifted its way to the bottom of the pile. I loaded up the wheelbarrow and began strewing compost here and yon.
Some went on the rose by the porch. The bed by the porch is a frustration because it seems to be harboring black root rot. When I found out that irises are resistant, I thought I would get some rhizomes from Mom. She has a white iris that I thought would be pretty next to the rose. I got some divisions from her late last summer. This is what they looked like not long after I had planted them.
Just this week, I noticed a couple of fat buds on them. I'm thrilled. I'm looking forward to seeing some pretty blooms.