Sunday, August 27, 2017

Monarch larva?

This evening as I strolled around the yard, I noticed 5 or 6 butterfly larvae on the butterfly weed.  I fetched my camera and took a shot.  I think this is a monarch larva.
You can see it is munching on the seed pod of the butterfly weed.  I am absolutely delighted to see these larvae.  There are lots of eggs as well. (Update--I think the eggs I saw were milkweed bug eggs).
I usually see a monarch or two around in the fall, but perhaps this year I will have several.  I will try to keep an eye out and see if I can watch these develop.
(Here is another one munching on a leaf.)

1 comment:

  1. Neat. I never knew that the larva could actually have some of the color of the butterfly its self. neat shots.
    Yeah it would be neat to follow the trail until the butterfly emerges.

    ReplyDelete